Belfast waste-to-energy gasification plant
The joint fund Full Circle Generation, comprising developer Riverridge Energy along with the Green Investment Bank, Equitix and P3P Partners investor consortium, has awarded Bouygues Energies & Services, a Bouygues Construction subsidiary, a contract worth over €202 million for the turnkey delivery of a waste-to-energy gasification plant in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
Bouygues Energies & Services will be responsible for the engineering, construction and equipment procurement for this 15MWe facility, and will provide operation and maintenance services for a period of 17 years. This will be the largest energy-from-waste plant in Northern Ireland.
“This new contract follows on from the Hoddesdon 10MWe gasification plant in the UK, closed in February. It confirms Bouygues Energies & Services' ability to deliver complex and large-scale industrial projects in the energy infrastructure sector. The new facility will play a key part in helping Northern Ireland to meet its annual targets in terms of recycling and energy generation from renewable sources,” points out Jean-Christophe Perraud, Bouygues Energies & Services CEO.
The gasification plant will generate 60MW thermal which, once converted by two steam turbine generators, will deliver 15MWe. This represents a net export of 100GWh of green electricity to the grid per year, which will mainly service the nearby Bombardier Aerospace facility.
The new waste-to-energy plant will be fuelled by over 150,000 tonnes of feedstock derived from local commercial and industrial waste, enabling Northern Ireland to save 50,000 tonnes of carbon per year.
Bouygues Energies & Services will provide a turnkey solution using advanced technology developed in partnership with the company Biomass Power Limited.
Site works, which will involve 200 people during peak periods, are due to start in January 2016 and should be completed at the end of 2017. The operation and maintenance contract will then create more than 20 local full-time jobs.
Find all the topics that make Bouygues Energies & Services news: projects, innovations, public and client events, partnerships, press releases ...
- Signing of a new contract with Equis, the first regional developer of renewable energies
- Award for centralised technical management system of Marseille’s L2 bypass
- The safety commission met on site and officially recommended that the building could open to the public
- Delivery of 4 solar farms 100km to the north of Bangkok
- New latest-generation production site for a world leader in carbon fibre manufacturing
- Construction of new maintenance centre at Istres naval air station
- An exemplary project combining technical challenges, energy development and local involvement
- Three key aspects of the airport: operations centre, baggage and pass office
- Creation and animation of dynamic trail of light showcasing 39 important sites
- Contract signed with Equis, leading developer of renewable energy in the region
- Largest waste-to-energy gasification plant in the United Kingdom
- Five buildings comprising several operating theatres and 250 beds