Axione will connect 10 Towns to SIRO's Gigabit Network in Ireland
SIRO, the open-access broadband provider delivering Ireland’s first 100% fibre-optic broadband network to 50 towns nationwide, announced that it has signed a €20 million contract with the joint venture consortium of French Telecoms Infrastructure company Axione and its local Irish, professional engineering services partner, Obelisk. The contract will see Axione and Obelisk connect ten towns – Gorey, Courtown, Enniscorthy, Newtown-Kilcoole, Wicklow, Arklow, Carrickmines, Shankill, Bray and Greystones – to SIRO’s Gigabit broadband network over the next two years. As a result, over 35,000 homes and businesses in the towns will be able to access the most powerful broadband services in Ireland via SIRO’s retail partners.
Axione, part of the Bouygues Energies & Services Group, is a major player in digital infrastructure, providing design, build and operating services for mobile and fibre operators and developing public initiative networks (PINs) in partnership with states and public authorities. Over the past 10 years it has installed 22,000km of networks to reduce inequality of internet access in France. As part of the public initiative networks (PINs) led by French local and regional authorities, Axione designs, builds and runs next-generation shared digital infrastructure. The PINs in which Axione is involved represent approximately €2 billion in investment and serve 7 million people, 6,500 municipalities and 310,000 businesses. Ireland joins Gabon and the Ivory Coast as Axione’s third country outside of France.
Obelisk is a Cavan based company with its operations centre in Ballycoolin, Dublin. Since its establishment in 1996, it has delivered extensively across the UK and Ireland, growing into a professional, modern, proactive, international company. Obelisk provides solutions and resources to industry across telecommunications, power transmission and distribution, renewable energy and tower infrastructure. Obelisk has already successfully delivered fibre optic infrastructure for SIRO in Drogheda, Balbriggan and Swords, for the past two years as part of the rollout of its Gigabit broadband network.
Commenting on the announcement, Minister of State at the Department of Finance with special responsibility for Financial Services and Insurance, Michael D’Arcy said:
In my work as Minister, I see how reliant the growth of financial services are on access to high speed connectivity. One of my priorities in the delivery of IFS2020, the Government’s five year strategy to grow our International Financial Services sector, is the development of the sector across the regions. The rollout of Gigabit broadband through 100% FTTB connections to towns in the South East such as Gorey and Arklow, will put them in the same league as Tokyo and Hong Kong for broadband connectivity. This initiative will increase their attractiveness for foreign direct investment, boost the local economy and make remote working a real possibility for residents in the towns. Fibre broadband is a key component for developing the Smart Economy in the South East and SIRO’s arrival is a very welcome development.
Sean Atkinson, CEO of SIRO, said:
SIRO is future proofing the broadband needs of Irish consumers and businesses with Ireland’s only 100% fibre-optic broadband network. Following a successful trial of 2,000 homes in Bray last year we are delighted to be with Axione whose expertise, combined with that of Obelisk’s successful delivery of over 17,000 homes over the last 2 years, will be vital in achieving this vision in the South East. With over 165,000 homes and businesses already able to access Gigabit broadband services powered by SIRO, we are already seeing tremendous benefits in towns like Skibbereen where O’Donnell Design, a furniture company, has seen their volume of work jump by 25% as their capacity to do business with international hotel chains has been bolstered.
Dominque Astier, Deputy CEO of Axione, commented:
Axione is delighted to be partnering with Obelisk for delivery to SIRO of 100% fibre-optic broadband to these 10 towns, designing and building a network that will meet the requirements of local communities and businesses for decades ahead. We are committed to bringing the expertise we have gleaned in France to Ireland to help contribute to the construction of SIRO’s network, which is first of its kind in Europe.
Find all the topics that make Bouygues Energies & Services news: projects, innovations, public and client events, partnerships, press releases ...
- Bouygues Energies & Services and Loxam sign a strategic partnership to speed up to the hydrogen sector
- One of the largest photovoltaic power plants in France is being built by our teams.
- Sustainability is a unifying theme and major partnerships are being established.
- Our UK team has been selected by VIRTUSfor the turnkey delivery of its LONDON7
- A day of interactive discussion about diversity and inclusion strategy.
- Round table to discuss about national and European support for the hydrogen industry.
- Project Manager Aaron Yule will lead the team in charge of transforming Ashford's lighting.
- Official opening ceremony of the new North Mole thermal power plant
- After 1 year of work, the connected control centre of the OnDijon project was unveiled
- Because preserving health and safety is and will remain the top priority.
- The Top Employers Institute acknowledges the quality of the company’s working conditions and its HR policies.
- Come and meet us to develop innovative energy solutions together
- How is the OnDijon scheme progressing after one year ?
- The results of more than 3 years of work presented at the European Utility Week
- The international event on urban development.
- A successful handover had been completed for Phase 1 of VIRTUS Data Centres’ LONDON5 facility.
- With Sun'R we have combined our skills to support Lamagistère in its energy transition.
- Axione becomes the 86th member of the altnet cooperative.
- Our goal : being innovative together.
- We will demonstrate that it is possible to put technology at the service of well-being!
- Smart management of public amenities will enable local authorities to improve their performance.
- Mozambique faces electricity supply challenges due to limited infrastructure required to generate and evacuate power.
- Signing of a new contract with Equis, the first regional developer of renewable energies
- Award for centralised technical management system of Marseille’s L2 bypass
- The safety commission met on site and officially recommended that the building could open to the public
- Delivery of 4 solar farms 100km to the north of Bangkok
- New latest-generation production site for a world leader in carbon fibre manufacturing
- An exemplary project combining technical challenges, energy development and local involvement
- Three key aspects of the airport: operations centre, baggage and pass office
- Creation and animation of dynamic trail of light showcasing 39 important sites
- Contract signed with Equis, leading developer of renewable energy in the region
- Five buildings comprising several operating theatres and 250 beds