Ethiopian capital upgrades its electrical infrastructure
We were appointed by the Ethiopian Electric Power Corporation to upgrade the power network of the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa, the aim being to secure and develop the area’s electricity networks, thus meeting the growing demand for energy.
km of electricity networks
We provided our client with a comprehensive, bespoke solution for the upgrade of the Addis Ababa power network. The 22-month project was carried out in 2008 in two main sections, covering underground and overhead works.
To upgrade the medium voltage buried networks, our teams used their expertise to:
- lay 160 km of power cables and install 80 substations
- run 135 km of fibre optic cables
To develop the region’s electricity networks, we installed new medium and low voltage powerlines, including:
- 270 km of new medium voltage powerlines linked to 68 substations
- 460 km of low voltage powerlines linked to 220 transformers
Furthermore, 18 km of fibre optic cables were installed so as to remotely control transformer substations and optimise power distribution throughout the capital.
Strong local presence
We helped stimulate local employment, recruiting 700 local people as part of the project. This exciting scheme is designed to meet energy requirements, which are increasing at a particularly fast pace in the country.
We are involved in numerous projects in Africa, consolidating our expertise in the design, construction and optimisation of power networks. For instance, we have created 150km of electricity networks in Mali so as to improve access to electricity in rural areas.
Our latest case studies
- Rehabilitation of two 400kV overhead power lines in Rhône valleyEnergy
- Rural electrification project in Mozambique, powering 22,000 new homesEnergy
- 90kV high voltage double-circuit transmission line running between LONGONI and KAWENI delivered in MayotteEnergy
- 150km of electricity networks created to improve access to electricity in rural areas in Mali.Energy
- Two 225kV extra high voltage overhead power lines to be built between Argentière and Serre Ponçon and between Grisolles and PralongEnergy
- The North Gabon interconnected network has been handed over after work spanning 30 monthsEnergy
Find all the topics that make Bouygues Energies & Services news: projects, innovations, public and client events, partnerships, press releases ...
- Sustainability is a unifying theme and major partnerships are being established.Our UK team has been selected by VIRTUSfor the turnkey delivery of its LONDON7A day of interactive discussion about diversity and inclusion strategy.Round table to discuss about national and European support for the hydrogen industry.Project Manager Aaron Yule will lead the team in charge of transforming Ashford's lighting.Official opening ceremony of the new North Mole thermal power plantAfter 1 year of work, the connected control centre of the OnDijon project was unveiledBecause preserving health and safety is and will remain the top priority.The Top Employers Institute acknowledges the quality of the company’s working conditions and its HR policies.Come and meet us to develop innovative energy solutions togetherHow is the OnDijon scheme progressing after one year ?The results of more than 3 years of work presented at the European Utility WeekThe international event on urban development.A successful handover had been completed for Phase 1 of VIRTUS Data Centres’ LONDON5 facility.
With Sun'R we have combined our skills to support Lamagistère in its energy transition.Axione becomes the 86th member of the altnet cooperative.Our goal : being innovative together.We will demonstrate that it is possible to put technology at the service of well-being!SIRO announces investment with joint venture to connect 10 towns to Its gigabit networkSmart management of public amenities will enable local authorities to improve their performance.
Mozambique faces electricity supply challenges due to limited infrastructure required to generate and evacuate power.Signing of a new contract with Equis, the first regional developer of renewable energiesAward for centralised technical management system of Marseille’s L2 bypassThe safety commission met on site and officially recommended that the building could open to the publicDelivery of 4 solar farms 100km to the north of BangkokNew latest-generation production site for a world leader in carbon fibre manufacturingAn exemplary project combining technical challenges, energy development and local involvementThree key aspects of the airport: operations centre, baggage and pass officeCreation and animation of dynamic trail of light showcasing 39 important sitesContract signed with Equis, leading developer of renewable energy in the region